FINALLY! Four years on, Lincoln’s long‑awaited Burger King drive‑thru could be moving forward

It's been a long time coming

A Burger King drive-thru which was first proposed four years ago is steadily moving forward.

The eatery would be built in the Pelham Centre’s car park on Canwick Road, Lincoln.

The original plans were submitted by developer Rafkins to the City of Lincoln Council in 2022.

There had been no signs of progress until a fresh set was approved this month with details of the building materials and landscaping.

- Advertisement -

This would prevent planning permission from expiring for another three years.

The drive-thru would be located close to the junction with Kesteven Street, opposite the former Carpets 4 Less building, and wouldn’t affect other businesses in the Pelham Centre.

image 38

The original planning documents said: “Far from any adverse impacts arising, we consider this investment on the Pelham Centre site will provide impetus to further regeneration measures in the centre and encourage wider investment in the area.

“The proposal will lead to the creation of new employment opportunities (around 30 full-time posts) and would also support sustainable development.

“The proposal would make efficient use of existing urban land and contribute to wider regeneration objectives.”

- Advertisement -

Planning officers said at the time that there had been concerns about the amount of traffic and queuing cars that the drive-thru would generate in the busy area.

However, the developer was able to provide assessments guaranteeing it wouldn’t have an impact.

The restaurant would be allowed to operate between 8am and 11pm every day. 

Regeneration plans had also been approved around the same time for the Carpets 4 Less site, with hopes of demolishing it and building 47 sites.

However, these expired last week without work ever beginning.

By Jamie Waller
(Local Democracy Reporter)

More from Stuck in the Middle

The Weekend Edit – Your guide to the best things happening across the East Midlands this weekend (August 21-23)

From dancefloor nostalgia and live music to forest celebrations and family adventures, here’s our pick of what’s worth leaving the house for

Wendy’s is literally giving away free burgers next week in the East Midlands and here’s how to get one

Wendy's has decided that August is apparently the month of giving away food

All aboard for four days of beer, cider, gin and steam trains

The four-day celebration combines heritage rail travel with live music, food an impressive drinks line-up

Leicester’s latest chicken spot is opening with free food, a DJ and 50% off

The independent chain is launching its third UK site on Wednesday