Crush risk and terror concerns sink pub’s outdoor bar bid for Nottingham Pride

A Nottingham pubโ€™s hopes to open a temporary outdoor bar during the cityโ€™s Pride event have been dashed after the police raised concerns over the risk of a terror attack and crushing incidents.

The Pride event will take place in the city on Saturday, July 25, with the day beginning as usual with a march.

The parade will set off from Lister Gate, before making its way through Hockley, which is now known as the LGBTQ-plus-friendly Rainbow Quarter, having taken inspiration from Manchesterโ€™s Gay Village.

It will then come to an end in Sneinton Market.

- Advertisement -

Queen of Hockley, in Broad Street, had asked for a temporary events notice from Nottingham City Council to allow it to open an outdoors bar in its seating area situated on the pavement.

However, Nottinghamshire Police had objected on the grounds of preventing crime and disorder, and maintaining public safety.

Lively performance at Pride event.
Notts Pride takes place this Saturday (PHOTO: Notts Pride)

During a licensing panel meeting, Matt Saunders, the venueโ€™s owner, said: โ€œWhat we want to doโ€ฆ is to have a mobile bar outside roughly from the hours of 12 noon until 5pm, maybe 6pm, for the main function of the Pride march.

โ€œJust really for ease of service. It saves people coming in for the bar. We have a nice big front area that people like to be on. Itโ€™s obviously an opportunity for us to make a bit more money in these tough times. Itโ€™s not meant to be anything contentious.โ€

Nottinghamshire Police said it was concerned the operation of a bar on the pavement area could give rise to consumption of alcohol on the streets.

- Advertisement -

The force had further concerns over the increased demands on the police service as a result.

Cllr Sarita Marie-Rehman Wall (Lab) said she would be minded to approve the temporary licence should the right measures be put in place for public safety, and to prevent crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour.

Mr Saunders said the venue has a good relationship with residents living above, and said door staff would be employed on the day to enforce proper crowd behaviour, and to make sure no drinks are taken away from the venue.

A Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) currently prohibits street drinking.

He added plastic drinking cups would be used, and that there were no problems with a similar outdoors area last year.

However, PC Charlie Flatters said the forceโ€™s main concern was the safe capacity of the outdoors space and how that would be enforced during heavily attended Pride event.

Kate Ansty, senior licensing officer for Nottinghamshire Police, added: โ€œBroad Street is already a narrow area of that route and we believe further obstacles such as that bar would further reduce that space, causing congestion, and leading to a public safety risk of crushing.

โ€œWe do want to touch on the heightened risk of counter terrorism with the Pride events. The current risk level is severe which means an attack is highly likely. This, we believe, this notice and this event at Queen of Hockley will be seen as an extension of the Pride event itself.โ€

Concluding, the panel chair, Cllr Carole McCulloch (Lab), said a counter notice would be served in order to promote prevention of crime and disorder and uphold public safety.

This notice in effect cancels the proposed event and makes it illegal to proceed.

Article by: Joe Locker (Local Democracy Reporter)

More from Stuck in the Middle

Wendy’s is literally giving away free burgers next week in the East Midlands and here’s how to get one

Wendy's has decided that August is apparently the month of giving away food

All aboard for four days of beer, cider, gin and steam trains

The four-day celebration combines heritage rail travel with live music, food an impressive drinks line-up

Some of the best affordable nature days out in the East Midlands this summer

You don't need to splash out on expensive attractions to make the most of the holidays.