Man arrested as part of investigation into murder of Matthew Schofield in Leicester more than two years ago

The 34-year-old died after being found unresponsive in Belgrave Road

Police say a man has been rearrested as part of the ongoing investigation into the murder of Matthew Schofield more than two years ago in Leicester.

The 34-year-old died on Sunday, June 11, 2023 after being found unresponsive in Belgrave Road.

Enquiries at the time led officers to discover he had been assaulted in the street, close to the junction with Belgrave Circle, at around 3am.

image
Matthew Schofield (right) pictured with mother Emma Daniels (PHOTO: Leicestershire Police)

Matthew’s death has been the subject of an ongoing police investigation and they have now rearrested one of the men who was previously arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

- Advertisement -

The 23-year-old man has now been further arrested on suspicion of murder and released on police bail while enquiries continue. 

Detective Inspector Lorna Granville, Senior Investigating Officer, said: “We are continuing to pursue all lines of enquiry as new evidence comes to light. Establishing who was involved in Matthew’s death is vital so that those people can be brought to justice.

Currently a total of 14 people remain under investigation as part of this investigation.

Detectives are still appealing for people to come forward with any information. This can be passed directly to the detectives investigating Matthew’s death by visiting https://mipp.police.uk/operation/33EM23I27-PO1

Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

More from Stuck in the Middle

Leicester’s latest chicken spot is opening with free food, a DJ and 50% off

The independent chain is launching its third UK site on Wednesday

Wetherspoons says no to loudspeaker calls and videos in bid to keep pubs peaceful

The new policy has been rolled out across all 792 Wetherspoon pubs

Leicester’s biggest beer garden just got a £1m glow-up

It's the outdoor space that's likely to steal the show.

New independent comedy festival wins backing of Leicester mayor

Sir Peter Soulsby has given his the new event his approval