This new club is replacing Revolution de Cuba – and it could be the boost Derby’s nightlife needs right now

A new nightclub is set to open at Derby’s former Revolucion de Cuba bar.

A licensing application has been submitted to Derby City Council by the management of the new NINE venue at The Strand.

Its website has a countdown ticker, indicating it is due to open its doors for the first time on Friday, June 12, and a new Instagram page has been launched.

It comes after more than 20 Revolucion de Cuba bars closed across the country – including its Derby venue – earlier this year when the bar chain appointed administrators. 

- Advertisement -
image 1
The new website launching NINE bar in Derby

image 2
The former Revolucion de Cuba bar in Derby city centre

Applicant ABJ 30 Ltd has written to the city council asking for a similar licence premise as to what was before with Revolucion de Cuba.

According to the Companies House website, ABJ 30 Ltd was set up earlier this year and is based in Derby.

Its website says the new venue will offer an atmosphere “unlike anything Derby has seen before”.

A description reads: “NINE is a brand new premium nightclub and bar opening in Derby city centre in 2026.

“Designed for those who expect more from a night out, NINE brings world class sound, striking interiors and an atmosphere unlike anything Derby has seen before.

- Advertisement -

“From exclusive VIP experiences to headline DJ sets and curated cocktail menus, NINE is setting a new standard in Derby nightlife. 

“Whether you are looking for a sophisticated evening with friends or an unforgettable night on the dancefloor, this is your destination.”

People can visit its website to join the guestlist ahead of its opening.

As part of its opening, a licensing application for late night hours and alcohol sales has been submitted to council chiefs.

The company said in its licensing application: “We are seeking to reinstate the premises licence for a new landlord which lapsed through insolvency of the previous premises license holder.

“The application reflects very similar terms and conditions to the previous premises license.

“Other than cosmetic changes in decoration and upholstery,  the layout will remain as per the previous licence plan.”

News of a new nightclub will be a welcome boost to the city’s nightlife following the closure of numerous venues in recent times.

The likes of Mosh, Popworld, The Friary, as well as Revoluction de Cuba have all closed in recent times and are no longer part of the city’s nightlife scene.

ABJ 30 Ltd has been approached for comment.

You can find the new website HERE

Written by Nigel Slater (Local Democracy Reporter)

More from Stuck in the Middle

Move over Florence Nightingale, Lara Croft wants some space in Derby too

Derby's video game community are on a mission to install an original Tomb Raider statue in its Market Hall.

Wendy’s is literally giving away free burgers next week in the East Midlands and here’s how to get one

Wendy's has decided that August is apparently the month of giving away food

All aboard for four days of beer, cider, gin and steam trains

The four-day celebration combines heritage rail travel with live music, food an impressive drinks line-up